A Guided Tour of Academia… with a Stanford Professor
My name is Tom Mullaney, and I’m a Stanford professor of 15 years. Along with my brother, I’m also the first in my family to go to college.
I want to share everything I know about academia with you.
This is hard-earned wisdom that comes from my limitations and failures…
- how I chose the wrong college as an undergrad
- how a common mistake led to rejections from nearly every grad school I applied to
- the day I Failed Orals
- my struggles with mental health
- how I blew a $250,000 grant for a ridiculous reason
- how a single mistake cost me a chance to teach at Princeton
and my prouder moments…
- graduating Johns Hopkins in 3.5 years (with a double major)
- completing my PhD at Columbia in 6 years
- landing a tenure-track job at Stanford straight out of grad school
- accelerated tenure
- winning the top Book Prize in my field
- winning major grants, including a Guggenheim, a 3-year NSF award, the Mellon New Directions, and more
- reaching Full Professor by the age of 40
Whether you’re a High School Senior, a Full Professor, or anywhere in between, this newsletter is for you.
You’ll also get first dibs on special giveaways, such as the Cover Letter that helped land my job at Stanford, the application that won me a Guggenheim, and much more.
You can unsubscribe at any time. No spam, ever.